Dr. Kilian Schärli, LL.M.
Partner/Notary Public, Zug/Zurich
T +41 58 552 03 50
Dr. Kilian Schärli is managing partner of MLL Legal. He works with domestic and international clients in the technology, industrial and internet sectors. He specializes in the fields of intellectual property matters, blockchain technology, unfair competition, licensing and distribution. He has particular expertise in commercial and transactional work relating to these fields.
Kilian is Co-Head of the industry groups Blockchain Technologies and MLLStart! He is involved in leadership roles in several local and international organizations, including as International Chair of the YMC Committee (Young Members Congress) for the Licensing Executives Society International (LESI).
Rankings & Awards
- “Kilian is deep into the blockchain industry and knows how the business works and how business should be set up for product development and management” – Chambers and Partners, Fintech, 2023
- “He stands out and is among the top three lawyers we have worked with globally. His level of dedication and sophistication is excellent while still maintaining a hands-on approach when it comes to solving problems”– Chambers and Partners, Fintech, 2023
- Kilian Schärli has been appointed in the 2022–2023 leadership team of the Licensing Executives Society International (LESI)’s Young Members Congress (YMC) as International Chair.
- “Always does a tremendous job. He is great to work with, hands-on and develops the most impressive strategies” – IAM Patent 1000, 2022
- “Kilian Schärli is a highly esteemed and well-connected practitioner in the field of fintech who is highly sought after for his practical advice” – Who’s Who Legal, Global Leader Blockchain, 2022
- “Kilian Schärli handles a huge amount of crypto legal issues brilliantly. Great communication skills and understanding of the needs of our company. Always finds a solution in the most challenging circumstances” – Legal 500 EMEA, Fintech, 2022
- “Very easy to work with and a good appreciation (and enjoyment!) of IP law and practice in Switzerland. He is very bright and quickly grasps complex technical subject matter” – Legal 500 EMEA, IP, 2022
- “Kilian Schärli is recognised as a skilled and driven individual and as a leader in his field of expertise – which is why he clearly stands out as the lead partner. Kilian Schärli is really smart and committed. He always goes the extra mile for us and is available 24/7. He is down to earth and has an extraordinary sense for commercially good solutions. It is indeed a true pleasure to work with him” – Legal 500 EMEA, Healthcare & Life Sciences, 2022
- “Kilian Schärli is noted for his know-how in blockchain pharmaceutical cases” – Legal 500 EMEA, Healthcare & Life Sciences, 2022
- “Kilian Schärli has a great connection to the crypto market” – Chambers and Partners, FinTech, 2022
- “We are really happy with his service – especially as he combines the legal view with a pragmatic and realistic business view” – Chambers and Partners, FinTech, 2022
- “Great task orientation, risk assessments and speedy issue management” – IFLR 1000, 2021-22
- “Responsive; trustful relationship; advice on more than just the subject at hand (e.g. cultural aspects or governance approaches); solid knowhow” – IFLR 1000, 2021-22
- “Kilian Schärli brings in-depth expertise to his practice, which focuses on projects concerning crypto-assets and blockchain in the pharmaceutical sector” – Who’s Who Legal, Blockchain, 2021
- “All our strategic decisions were made by Kilian. He was thinking outside of the box and provided multiple options on how to solve a situation – a skill only possible because of his extensive and solid know-how in his particular study of law” – Chambers and Partners, FinTech 2021
- “Kilian Schärli is an up and coming young partner starting to make his mark on the team” – Legal 500 EMEA, Intellectual Property, 2021
- “Kilian Schärli: super enthusiastic and dives deep into all areas of technology” – Legal 500 EMEA, Healthcare and Life Sciences, 2021
Deals & Cases
- Advised and represented Telegram Group Inc., a cloud-based instant messaging and voice over IP service, as lead partner in connection with all Swiss legal aspects regarding the TON cryptocurrency and blockchain project
- Successfully defended Gilead’s SPC for the combination of emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxile in groundbreaking litigation before the Swiss Federal Patent Court and the Federal Supreme Court
- Advised Modum regarding a blockchain pharmaceutical use case in supply chain
- Kilian advised as lead partner Bitcoin Suisse, A Zug-based financial services provider for the digital asset industry, on all legal aspects of the CHF 45 Mio. Series A fundraising round, on IP related matters, and on the continous evolvement of the regulatory and contractual setup with regard to its crypto-related service offering
- Represented Cellprotect Holding Ltd in all matters regarding the development of a new drug, in particular regarding patent and trademark strategy and various development and license agreements.
- Advised and represented several entities of the Bayer group of companies in different Swiss patent litigation proceedings and pharmaceutical regulatory law
- Advised and represented Astrazeneca, a well-known biopharmaceutical company, against early market entries of generics of Faslodex®, Crestor®, Nexium®, and Seroquel®
Education & Admission
- University of Lucerne, Dr. iur. (2013)
- The John Marshall Law School, Chicago, in cooperation with Peking University, Beijing, LL.M. (2012)
- Admitted to the bar in Switzerland and licensed as a notary public in Zug (2011)
- University of Lucerne, MLaw (2009)
Memberships and public offices
- Capital Markets and Technology Association (CMTA)
- International Chair of LESI YMC
- Swiss Association for Intellectual Property Law (INGRES)
- Bar Association of the Canton of Zug
Find all publications by Kilian Schärli on our website mll-legal.com.
“We are really happy with his service
Cryptoassets & Blockchain 2023 – SwitzerlandLexology GTDT, Getting The Deal Through, Law Business Research, December 2022
Crypto Sponsorship and LicensingPresentation at the LESI YMC Conference in Milan, Italy, 30 September 2022
Trade Secret Protection: A Global Guide, Second EditionGlobe Law and Business Ltd, June 2022
Cryptocurrencies as contribution in kind for foundations and capital increasesTranslation into English of Anwaltsrevue article "Kryptowährungen als Sacheinlage bei Gründungen und Kapitalerhöhungen", May 2022
- Kilian Schärli
- Jonas Schütte
MLL Legal implements ELLE Legal Software by Logol Group
MLL Legal presents its new Management Committee
8th LESI YMC Pan-American Conference on 24 February 2023
Kilian Schärli and Ronald Kogens speakers at the Blockchain Hub Davos 2023 on 17 January 2023
MLL Legal ranked Band 1 in the Chambers FinTech Directory 2023
Little-Known Pitfall in Application for Paediatric Extensions or Paediatric SPCs
When filing applications for paediatric extensions and paediatric SPCs in Switzerland, it must be kept in mind that Switzerland is not a member state of the European Union and thus has a separate and independent system when it comes to the approval of medicinal products. Paediatric extensions and paediatric SPCs are only granted in Switzerland based on respective Swiss marketing authorizations issued by the competent authority Swissmedic. The relevant provisions in the Swiss Patent Act provide for some very particular conditions that the respective marketing authorizations must meet in order to serve as a basis for the grant of a paediatric extension or paediatric SPC. Those conditions are unique to Switzerland and therefore little-known abroad.