Jean Marguerat has experience across all areas of dispute resolution, with particular expertise in international arbitration and in international litigation. Jean Marguerat is one of the authors of the Commentary on the Swiss Rules of International Arbitration.
Jean Marguerat’s practice focuses on international arbitration, litigation and contract law. Jean Marguerat has experience as party counsel and as arbitrator in more than 90 institutional (ICC, SCAI, LCIA, VIAC, CAS, etc.) and ad hoc international arbitrations involving sale of goods and commodities, distribution and agency, construction, marine works, joint ventures, corporate transactions and sport related matters. He also regularly represents clients before the Swiss courts in all fields of commercial disputes and notably those in relation to arbitration (enforcement and challenge of arbitral awards). His activity includes recognition & enforcement proceedings (including attachments) and international legal assistance.
Rankings & Awards
- “Excellent counsel and excellent chair of arbitral tribunal. Easy to work with. He conducts the proceedings smoothly and efficiently” – Legal 500 EMEA, Dispute Resolution: Arbitration, 2023
- “Jean is a very sharp practitioner and a real common-sense person who approaches work in a nice way” – Who’s Who Legal, Global Leader Arbitration, 2023
- “Jean Marguerat is a smart and reactive colleague, extremely easy to work with and straightforward. He understands quickly the needs and provides practical and just legal analysis” – Legal 500 EMEA, Arbitration, 2022
- Jean Marguerat is recommended in The Legal 500 EMEA, Litigation, 2022
- “Jean Marguerat is a very thorough and experienced arbitrator who is always on top of the relevant issues and does not shy away from digging into voluminous and fact driven cases” – Legal 500 EMEA, Arbitration, 2022
- Jean Marguerat is recommended in The Legal 500 EMEA, Sports Law, 2022
- Jean Marguerat is ranked by Leaders League as an expert in International Arbitration, Switzerland 2022
- Jean Marguerat is “a very efficient and no-nonsense lawyer and is very easy to work with” – Chambers and Partners Europe & Global, Arbitration, 2022
- “Jean Marguerat is noted for his expertise in international arbitration matters. He represents football clubs and athletes” – Chambers and Partners Europe, Sport, 2022
- “Jean is really excellent as counsel in international proceedings. He always takes an impressive, creative approach” – Who’s Who Legal, Thought & Global Leader Arbitration, 2022
- “The fantastic Jean Marguerat cuts a distinguished figure as a very pragmatic practitioner who always produces well-structured work” – Who’s Who Legal, Thought Leader Arbitration, 2021
- Jean Marguerat is noted for his expertise in international arbitration matters. One impressed client states: “He is a highly recommended lawyer; he is very dynamic and active, with great legal knowledge and charisma” – Chambers and Partners Europe, Sport, 2021
- Sources report that Jean Marguerat has an open mind to issues of cultural differences and a good understanding of complex factual situations. He is well versed in representing companies from the mining and life sciences sectors in commercial arbitrations – Chambers and Partners Europe & Global, Arbitration, 2021
Education & Admission
- University of Cambridge, LL.M.
- Admitted to the bar in Switzerland (1999)
- Universities of Basel and Neuchâtel, lic.iur.
Memberships and public offices
- Court Member of Swiss Arbitration Centre (SAC)
- Swiss Bar Association (SAV)
- Geneva Bar Association (OdaGe)
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Club Español del Arbitraje (CEA)
- Deutsche Institution für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit (DIS)
- Commentary: Article 12 (Independence, Impartiality and Disclosures of Arbitrators) and Article 13 (Challenge of an Arbitrator) | 17.02.2023
- GAR – Challenging and Enforcing Arbitration Awards 2020 – Switzerland, An extract from GAR’s Challenging and Enforcing Arbitration Awards Know-how, first published in April 2020 | 28.04.2020
- Arbitration and Competition – A Swiss Perspective, CPI Antitrust Chronicles | 09.07.2019
- The Guide to Challenging and Enforcing Arbitration Awards 2019 – Switzerland, Jurisdictional Know-How, Global Arbitration Review | 20.06.2019
“The fantastic Jean Marguerat cuts a distinguished figure as a very pragmatic practitioner who always produces well-structured work”