Renato Bucher specialises in competition and commercial law.
He represents undertakings in proceedings before the Swiss competition authorities and private antitrust litigation, coordinates multi-jurisdictional merger filings, conducts trainings and advises on the implementation of antitrust compliance programs. He is also experienced in unfair competition related matters, in particular regarding price indications, and regularly deals with public procurement related matters.
Renato further possesses specialist knowledge and experience in all areas of commercial law. His main focus is on distribution related matters (franchising, agency, selective distribution etc.), but he is also an expert in variety of other commercial agreements, such as licensing, R&D, manufacturing and supply agreements. He frequently represents undertakings in contentious matters, for example regarding goodwill indemnity claims, extraordinary terminations of distribution relationships etc. He also has extensive experience in employment-related matters.
Within his practice areas, Renato frequently represents clients in domestic and cross-border litigation as well as in administrative (court) proceedings before all Swiss courts.
Rankings & Awards
- “Sources praise Renato Bucher for his excellent knowledge of the franchising space and for understanding the big picture issues. They further commend his “great skill in complicated matters” – Who’s Who Legal, Thought Leaders Franchise, 2021
- “He is very fast, always direct and helpful, with the ability to put himself in his client’s shoes” – Who’s Who Legal, Global Leader, Competition 2021
- “Renato is a responsive lawyer who provides practical application of recent court decisions” – Who’s Who Legal, Global Leader, Competition 2021
- “He offers thorough advice with detailed descriptions of possible scenarios and recommended actions” – Who’s Who Legal, Global Leader, Competition 2021
- Renato Bucher won the award in the category “Franchise” – Client Choice Awards 2021
- “Renato Bucher has a pro-active attitude and great international connections” – The Legal 500 EMEA, Competition 2021
- Renato Bucher is listed as by Who’s Who Legal as a Global Leader for Franchise 2020. Who’s Who Legal states that “Renato Bucher is singled out by respondents as a well-respected distribution and franchise specialist in the Swiss market, as well as impressive counsel in contentious matters”.
Deals & Cases
- Representation of Burkhalter Holding AG (SIX: BRKN) and poenina holding AG (SIX: PNHO) in the merger control proceedings before the Swiss Competition Commission COMCO in connection with the merger of both undertakings that created a leading full-service provider of interdisciplinary building technologies with approximately 4,600 employees across 150 locations
- Advised Swiss chocolate producer Favarger regarding the sale of the assets and trademarks related to the Avelines business to competitor Maestrani as well as regarding the establishment of a license, manufacturing and distribution relationship for chocolate products
- Advised TVS Motor Company, a global automotive manufacturer company, in the acquisition of a majority stake in the Swiss company the GO corporation and its e-bike brand EGO Movement
- Advised the Dutch private equity firm Nimbus in the acquisition of the Swiss based Stratex SA
- Successfully represented Cocoa Luxury, a Swiss chocolate company based in Zug, in PI proceedings against Kraft Foods’ 3D TOBLERONE trademark and claims under the Unfair Competition Act
- Successfully enforced claims for payment for and defended a global leading FMCG company against counterclaims raised by a former wholesaler in a cross-border dispute in relation to the termination of the business relationship
- Represented a world leading multinational conglomerate against a former agent in settlement discussions regarding claims for a compensation for clientele following the termination of a long-lasting cross-border agency relationship
- Advised a renowned luxury jewelry manufacturer on the implementation of an omni-channel distribution system and on the launch of a new online store, covering several European jurisdictions
- Successfully obtained an ex-parte preliminary injunction on behalf of a world leading industrial company on the basis of threats made by a former distributor following an extraordinary termination of the exclusive distribution relationship
- Successfully obtained a landmark ruling of the Swiss Supreme Court on behalf of a Swiss private bank in connection with bonus claims unsuccessfully asserted by a former Senior Private Banker
Education & Admission
- University College Dublin, Sutherland School of Law, Sutherland Fellow (2019)
- University of Lucerne (Prosecutors‘ Academy), Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) in Forensics (2016)
- Admitted to the bar in Switzerland (2015)
- Maastricht University, LL.M. Globalisation and Law / Corporate and Commercial Law (2012)
- University of Zurich, MLaw (2012)
Memberships and public offices
- Swiss Bar Association (SAV)
- Zurich Bar Association (ZAV)
- International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA)
- Swiss Distribution (former Swiss Franchise Association; listed expert)
- International Distribution Institute (IDI)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Vertriebsrecht e.V
- Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht
- Swiss association of competition law (ASAS)
- Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- The Legal 500 Country Comparative Guides 2021 – Switzerland: Merger Control | 15.10.2021
- Vertragshandbuch Pharma und Life Sciences – Besonderheiten des Schweizer Rechts | 19.07.2021
- Distribution & Agency 2021 – Switzerland | 31.03.2021
- The Legal 500 Country Comparative Guides 2020 – Switzerland: Merger Control | 04.01.2021
Renato Bucher is listed as by Who’s Who Legal as a Global Leader for Franchise 2020. Who’s Who Legal states that “Renato Bucher is singled out by respondents as a well-respected distribution and franchise specialist in the Swiss market, as well as impressive counsel in contentious matters”.
Stief / Bromm, 2. Auflage 2021, C.H.BECK | 12. Kapitel, Besonderheiten des Schweizer Rechts, Juli 2021
Lexology GTDT, Getting The Deal Through, Law Business Research, March 2021
The Legal 500 Country Comparative Guides, 4th January 2021
AIJA 5th T.R.A.D.E. Annual Conference and 9th Antitrust Annual Conference in Bologna from 23-25 June 2022
MLL verstärkt seine Kompetenzen in den Bereichen Wettbewerb, Corporate & M&A und China Desk mit der Aufnahme von Renato Bucher, Florian Müller und Christian Rebell in die MLL-Partnerschaft
MLL strengthens its Competition, Corporate and M&A and China Desk competencies with the appointment of Renato Bucher, Florian Müller and Christian Rebell to the MLL partnership.
Who’s Who Legal Thought Leaders 2021
Simon Holzer and Renato Bucher win Client Choice Awards 2021
Effects of COVID-19 on the recruitment and onboarding of new employees
The current COVID-19 crisis has a dramatic impact on all aspects of the Swiss economy. Many fields of business have come to complete halt (e.g. restaurants, bars, cinemas etc.) or are facing a rapid decline in demand and/or revenues (e.g. fashion enterprises, hotels etc.). The crisis does not only affect the existing workforce of affected businesses but also their recruitment. Therefore, a selection of questions shall be discussed below regarding the following topics:More
Home Office Part II – Shift of income tax and social security nexus?
In the course of the current corona epidemic, many employees have been instructed by their employers to work from home in their so-called home office. In a former legal update that we published on our COVID-19 website on 27 March 2020 (Home Office Part I), we have raised and analyzed the question whether home office work will create a permanent establishment of the company.More
The proof of damages in case of a premature termination of a distribution agreement: new guidelines by the Swiss Supreme Court
On 3 January 2018, the Swiss Supreme Court rendered a new judgment related to the termination of an exclusive distribution agreement (judgment 4A_27/2018). The decision primarily deals with the proof of damages in connection with a premature termination of a distribution relationship. Moreover, it discusses the proof of the net annual earnings in connection with a claim for goodwill compensation in terms of article 418u of the Swiss Code of Obligations (“CO”). The new decision is of considerable interest, in particular since decisions of the Swiss Supreme Court in distribution related matters are quite rare.More
Dominance 2018 – Getting the Deal Through
Mario Strebel, Christophe Rapin, Renato Bucher and Jacques Johner are the authors of the Switzerland chapter in Getting the Deal Through – Dominance 2018, published by Law Business Research Ltd, London, with Patrick Bock, Kenneth Reinker and David R Little as contributing editors.More
6th edition of Global Legal Insights – Cartels 2018
Mario Strebel, Renato Bucher and Christophe Pétermann are the authors of the Switzerland chapter in the 6th edition of Global Legal Insights – Cartels 2018, published by Global Legal Group Ltd., with Nigel Parr and Euan Burrows as contributing editors.More