Mona Stephenson specialises in M&A, financing transactions and corporate law.
With over 10 years of experience, she regularly advises Swiss and international companies, from start-ups and SMEs to multinational companies, on various corporate matters, including M&A and distress M&A, national and international company restructurings and reorganisations, private equity, venture capital, debt financing, corporate governance and commercial contracts. Her experience spans a wide range of industries such as healthcare, banking and retail and luxury.
Before joining MLL Legal as a Partner, Mona Stephenson worked in other leading Swiss law firms. She holds an LL.M. from the New York University and the National University of Singapore in Global Business Law and Corporate and Financial Services. Before passing the bar exam in Geneva, she studied at the Universities of Lausanne, Zurich and Fribourg.
Mona Stephenson is fluent in French and English and is member of several professional associations. She is also the co-founder of the Women’s Business Society association and member of the committee on gender equality of the Geneva Bar Association.
She sits on the board of various companies and regularly speaks at conferences on various topics related to corporate law.
Rankings & Awards
- “Mona Stephenson is a good lawyer with strong interpersonal skills” – Legal 500 EMEA, Commercial, Corporate and M&A, 2022
- Mona Stephenson is recommended in The Legal 500 EMEA, Banking and Finance, 2022
- “Mona is very experienced and knowledgeable regarding M&A transactions; she is ready to go the extra mile for her clients and comes up with innovative solutions when necessary; it is always pleasant to work with her” – IFLR 1000, 2021-22
- “Mona is very knowledgeable and experienced in the field of M&A and it was always pleasant to work with her” – IFLR 1000, 2021-22
- Mona Stephenson “impresses with her competency, drive, and intelligence. She is dedicated and knowledgeable” – Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
- Mona Stephenson is nominated as next generation partner – Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
- Mona Stephenson is listed in the Best Lawyers 2020 for Corporate Law
- Mona Stephenson is recommended in the Commercial, Corporate and M&A category – Legal 500 EMEA, 2019
Deals & Cases
- Advised LFH Corporation SA on its subscription of CHF 12,5 million nominal amount mandatory convertible bonds for conversion into shares of the SIX Swiss Exchange listed Peach Property Group AG
- Advised Alven Capital, leading European Venture Capital firm, as lead investor in the CHF 9,1 Mio Serie A investment in Neural Concept SA
- Advised Nexira SAS in its acquisition of the Swiss company Unipektin Ingredients AG
- Advised Capital Transmission in the acquisition of a minority stake in Ascend Sport Technology, and its brands AIM Sport
- Advised TVS Motor Company, a global automotive manufacturer company, in the acquisition of a majority stake in the Swiss company the GO corporation and its e-bike brand EGO Movement
- Advised ZBG Capital N.V. in the subscription of a CHF 30 million corporate bond issued by Peach Property Group AG, a Swiss listed company
- Advised Young Brother Aviation in the acquisition of the aircraft management and charter activities of TAG Aviation Group
- Advised the investment company Capital Transmission SA (fully owned subsidiary of BCGE) in the acquisition of a minority stake in the GoFLUENT group
- Advised the Dutch private equity firm Nimbus in the acquisition of the Swiss based Stratex SA
- Advised Lenders on a US$ 122 million Gold Mine Financing Project in Republic of Guinea
- Assisted a leading French manufacturing group in the acquisition of a Swiss manufacturer of electromechanical components
- Advised the Founder of the traceability leader INEXTO Ltd in the sale of his shares to the investment company IMPALA.
Education & Admission
- New York University, LL.M. in Global Business Law (2014)
- National University of Singapore, LL.M. in Corporate and Financial Services (Dean’s Award Scholarship) (2014)
- Admitted to the bar in Switzerland (2010)
- University of Fribourg, MLaw, magna cum laude (2007)
- University of Lausanne, BLaw, Exchange year at the University of Zurich (2006)
Memberships and public offices
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA)
- Swiss Private Equity and Corporate Finance Association (SECA)
- Association genevoise du droit des affaires (AGDA)
- Geneva Bar Association; member of the committee on gender equality (OdaGe)
- Women’s Business Society (WBS)
- Member of the Swiss Circle of women board members (cercle suisse des administratrices)
- Acquisitions transfrontalières en Suisse : enjeux et conseils | 04.07.2023
- Réforme du droit de la société anonyme et de la société à responsabilité limitée | 20.02.2023
- Swiss Corporate Law Reform: Main Changes | 30.08.2022
- Réforme du droit des sociétés : Le Conseil fédéral fixe la date d’entrée en vigueur de la réglementation sur les directives relatives aux quotas et aux règles de transparence pour les entreprises actives dans l’exploitation de matières premières | 23.09.2021
Mona Stephenson “impresses with her competency, drive, and intelligence. She is dedicated and knowledgeable”