Tomás Navarro Blakemore’s work spans across all areas of international dispute resolution, with a focus on international commercial arbitration. He also advises private clients as well as non-profit organisations and social enterprises on structuring, governance and fundraising.
In particular, Tomás Navarro Blakemore has been involved as counsel, arbitrator and secretary to the arbitrator in several commercial and investment arbitration proceedings under various institutional rules (ICC, UNCITRAL, CAS, SCAI, CAM, ICSID Rules), as well as in ad hoc proceedings related to construction, distribution, corporate and sport-related matters. He also advises on contractual matters, negotiations, mediations as well as annulment proceedings and enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards.
Considering his previous experience on the field as consultant for a non-profit law, governance and development organisation in Phnom Penh (Cambodia), Tomás Navarro Blakemore is involved in the setting-up of legal structures to channel philanthropic ventures. With a foot in the Madrid office, he also accompanies private clients with cross-border matters between Spain and Switzerland.
Deals & Cases
- Counsel in an ICC arbitration to an Italian lottery company in a dispute on contractual, sales and IP matters against a Greek company. The amount in dispute is of USD 25 million
- Swiss legal advice to an English international football player before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS)
- Legal advice to Swiss clients on inheritance, real estate and tax issues in relation to an estate in Ibiza (Spain) valued at around EUR 5 million
- Counsel to a Turkish football club in an appeal before the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR)
- Counsel in two related ICC arbitrations for a global educational group in a dispute on lease and contractual matters against an Luxembourg company. The amount in dispute is of around CHF 80 million
- Secretary to the Arbitral Tribunal in an ICC arbitration between a Korean and Kuwaiti company in relation to a settlement agreement related to the construction industry
- Co-counsel to the Kingdom of Spain in setting-aside proceedings of an arbitral award before the Swiss Federal Tribunal
- Sole Arbitrator in a SCAI dispute on contractual and distribution matters related to the watch industry
- Counsel in an ICC arbitration to a Spanish pharmaceutical group in a dispute on sales matters against another European pharmaceutical group
- Counsel in a SCAI arbitration to a German supplier of medical equipment in a dispute on distribution matters against an Egyptian company. The amount in dispute was of USD 6 million
Education & Admission
- Admitted to the Bar in Switzerland (2019)
- Geneva Graduate Institute & University of Geneva, LL.M.
- Admitted to the Bar in Madrid (2013)
- University of Granada, Spain, lic.iur.
Memberships and public offices
- Ilustre Colegio de la Abogacía de Madrid (ICAM)
- Swiss Bar Association (SAV)
- Geneva Bar Association (OdaGe)
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA), below 40
- Club Español del Arbitraje (CEA-40)
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Swiss Chapter of the CEA
- Commentary: Article 12 (Independence, Impartiality and Disclosures of Arbitrators) and Article 13 (Challenge of an Arbitrator) | 17.02.2023
- An Introduction to Ad hoc and Institutional Arbitration | 20.06.2022
- Switzerland now has mandated human rights due diligence | 25.01.2022
- The dawn of human rights due diligence in Switzerland? | 07.12.2020