Dunja Koch, LL.M.
T +44 20 7236 6000
Dunja Koch has expertise in all aspects of corporate and finance law, advising mainly UK and US clients with regard to Switzerland. She is the managing partner of the London office.
She joined the firm in 1998 and became a partner in 2003. She regularly works on corporate and M&A deals, as well as leveraged and acquisition finance transactions, but also project, commodity and asset finance matters, including aircraft finance. Here, she acts on behalf of aircraft manufacturers, banks and leasing companies in relation to the Swiss aspects of acquisition of aircraft and engines.
Her practice further covers regulatory matters, where she advises asset managers, funds, securities dealers and other financial institutions in relation to their cross-border activities in Switzerland.
Rankings & Awards
- “We are happy with her level of service, responsiveness and knowledge of the investment funds and Swiss marketing rules practice area” – Chambers and Partners Global, Investment Funds, 2023
- “London-based Dunja Koch boasts broad regulatory and asset management expertise. She is dual-qualified in the UK and Switzerland” – Chambers and Partners, Investment Funds, 2022
- “Dunja Koch is their go-to person for ship finance matters. She is very responsive and gets deals done” – Legal 500 EMEA, Transport, 2022
- “Dunja Koch is particularly responsive and knowledgeable about the Swiss regulatory regime” – Chambers and Partners Global, Investment Funds, 2021
- “It was a real pleasure to work with Dunja. We really appreciate the pragmatic and sound legal advice she gave us and also her availability and swift responses against our, sometimes, challenging deadlines. As EIB’s requirements and contractual standards are different in certain aspects from the commercial banks, we particularly appreciated that Dunja understood these differences very quickly and provided us tailor-made advice which fits best our needs” – IFLR1000, 2020
- “Very friendly and professional approach” – IFLR1000, 2020
- “She is very knowledgeable in what she is doing and has a very good insight into the practical aspects of a transaction” – IFLR 1000, 2021
- “Responsive, helpful and working above and beyond to assist in closing out transactions” – Legal 500 EMEA, Aviation, 2020
- Dunja Koch is highlighted by clients for her broad regulatory and asset management expertise. Sources describe her as someone who has “excellent technical knowledge and keeps abreast of regulatory developments, but also has the ability to provide practical guidance.” Another interviewee confirms: “Dunja Koch is particularly responsive and knowledgeable about the Swiss regulatory regime” – Chambers and Partners Global, 2020
- “The aviation team of Froriep led by Dunja Koch is one of the top two aviation teams in Switzerland. Koch has excellent knowledge and a great network within the Swiss authorities and the Swiss aviation sector. In particular her pragmatic approach is great and it is always a pleasure to work with her” – Legal 500 EMEA, Aviation, 2020
- Clients highlight that she has “extensive legal knowledge, and is pragmatic, focused and very easy to communicate with” – Chambers and Partners Global, 2020
Education & Admission
- Admitted to the Bar in England and Wales (1999)
- University of Queen Mary London, LL.M.
- Admitted to the Bar in Switzerland (1997)
- University of Zurich, lic.iur.
Memberships and public offices
- Zurich Bar Association (ZAV)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Swiss Air & Space Association (ASDA)
- Aviation Club of the UK
- Private Equity, Jurisdictional Comparisons, Chapter on Switzerland, in: Charles Martin/ Simon Perry, Private Equity, 2018, Jurisdictional Comparisons, Chapter on Switzerland, p. 253-274 | 27.11.2018
- Selected issues of Swiss Law in Finance Transactions, FRORIEP Banking & Finance Briefing | 08.02.2018
- The amended Swiss Collective Investment Schemes Act (CISA) came into force on 1 March 2013. Many issues have been discussed in the market and brought to the attention of the Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority (FINMA). COO Connect Guide to AIFMD, August 2014 | 18.09.2014
- Clawback on bonuses, The Lawyer, 21 April 2014 | 23.04.2014
Find all publications by Dunja Koch on our website mll-legal.com.
“Dunja Koch is particularly responsive and knowledgeable about the Swiss regulatory regime”
Private Equity, Jurisdictional Comparisons, Chapter on Switzerland, in: Charles Martin/ Simon Perry, Private Equity, 2018, Jurisdictional Comparisons, Chapter on Switzerland, p. 253-274
- Marcel R. Jung
- Dunja Koch
- Jérôme Pidoux
- Laetitia Meier Droz
Selected issues of Swiss Law in Finance Transactions, FRORIEP Banking & Finance Briefing
The amended Swiss Collective Investment Schemes Act (CISA) came into force on 1 March 2013. Many issues have been discussed in the market and brought to the attention of the Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority (FINMA). COO Connect Guide to AIFMD, August 2014
Clawback on bonuses, The Lawyer, 21 April 2014
- Dunja Koch
- Florian Rochat
8 practice groups and 5 lawyers come out top 4 in the Chambers Global Edition 2023
Acquisition by Apollo Global Asset Management of Credit Suisse’s Securitized Products Group
Dunja Koch Listed in IFLR1000 Women Leaders 2022
London LL.M. Students Drinks Reception | 27.4.2022
MLL ranked in Chambers Global 2022 law firm directory
Swiss Marketing Rules for Foreign Fund Managers: Be Reminded of the 31 December 2021 Deadline
This note is part of a series of briefings on the Financial Services Act (FINSA, FIDLEG in German and LSFin in French) that came into force in 2020 and is a reminder for fund managers and other entities advertising, offering or marketing foreign funds on a cross-border basis to Swiss qualified investors that all FINSA requirements will need to be satisfied by 31 December 2021.More
New Rules for UK Nationals Wanting to Work in Switzerland
Following the United Kingdom’s exit from the European Union on 31 January 2020 and the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020, the Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons (“FMPA”) between Switzerland and the EU no longer applies to UK nationals.More
United Kingdom to Grant Switzerland Stock Market Equivalence
With the Brexit transition period having ended on 31 December 2020, the United Kingdom’s powers to grant equivalence to foreign stock markets came into force. As a result, the United Kingdom has approved a regulation which recognises Switzerland’s legal and supervisory framework for stock exchanges as equivalent. The regulation will come into effect on 3 February 2021.More
Enforcement of English Judgments in Switzerland – UK’s Accession to the Lugano Convention Still Pending
The 2007 Lugano Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Judgments in Civil and Commercial Matters governs the jurisdiction and reciprocal enforcement of judgments in civil and commercial matters between the member states of the European Union (EU) and three countries of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) (Iceland, Norway and Switzerland). The Lugano Convention is in essence the equivalent of the 2001 Brussels I Regulation which applies between EU member states only.More
Swiss Financial Services Act – Requirement to Join an Ombudsman Office Prior to 24 December 2020
New requirement for fund managers and other financial services providers: If you are a financial services provider under the Swiss Financial Services Act, even if you are only active on a cross-border basis, you must join an ombudsman office prior to 24 December 2020. This requirement also applies if you are marketing funds to Swiss investors on a cross-border basis.More