Dmitry Pentsov’s specialisms include banking and finance, international arbitration (with a particular focus on Eastern Europe, including the former USSR), corporate and commercial (especially international joint ventures and cross-border transactions governed by Swiss law) and international private client law (wealth transfer and structuring, including trusts, acquisition of aircraft and real estate and relocation to Switzerland).
He has been an associate in our Geneva office since 2006 and became a Partner in 2016. He has extensive legal experience in Eastern Europe, including the republics ot the former Soviet Union. He has represented foreign investors in joint-venture projects with local companies (banking, oil, gas and other natural resources, transportation, real estate, telecoms), as well as domestic and foreign purchasers, sellers and brokers in connection with the purchase and sale of securities, custodial relationships, creation of investment funds and institutions, and brokerage contracts. He acted as a counsel in international arbitration (ICC, Swiss Rules, VIAC, amongst others) in various disputes, arising out of the international sale of goods, joint venture agreements as well as distribution agreements. He also acted as counsel in the CAS arbitration.
Rankings & Awards
- Dmitry Pentsov is featured as a key lawyer in The Legal 500 EMEA, Banking and Finance, 2022
- Dmitry Pentsov is recommended in The Legal 500 EMEA, Private Client, 2022
- “Dmitry Pentsov is an excellent lawyer and true professional. He shows an excellent knowledge of Swiss corporate law and EU law” – Legal 500 EMEA, Private Client, 2020
Education & Admission
- Admitted to the Bar in Switzerland (2013)
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M.
- University of Geneva, MLaw
- Admitted to the New York State Bar (2001)
- Admitted to the St. Petersburg Bar (2001)
- Law Faculty of St. Petersburg State University
Memberships and public offices
- New York State Bar Association
- St Petersburg City Bar Association
- The concept of “investment” in the era of digital economy | 25.07.2022
- Contractual Joint Ventures in International Investment Arbitration, 38 Northwestern Journal of International Law & Business 391 (2018) | 16.07.2018
- Development of Norms of International Sports Law in Awards of the Court of Arbitration for Sport and Decisions of the Swiss Federal Tribunal rendered in 2016-2017 | 11.04.2018
- Attachment of Assets in Switzerland, Legal Insight, 2018, No. 2 (68), pp. 34-37 | 11.04.2018
Dmitry Pentsov is featured as a key lawyer in The Legal 500 EMEA, Banking and Finance, 2022
Contractual Joint Ventures in International Investment Arbitration, 38 Northwestern Journal of International Law & Business 391 (2018)
Development of Norms of International Sports Law in Awards of the Court of Arbitration for Sport and Decisions of the Swiss Federal Tribunal rendered in 2016-2017New Horizons of International Arbitration, Issue 4: Collection of Articles / Academic Editors: A.V. Asoskov, А.I. Muranov, R.M. Khodykin, April 2018