Daniel Bloch specialises in domestic and cross-border litigation and arbitration, including attachments and injunctions, enforcement proceedings, and international judicial assistance. His extensive experience in international litigation goes along with special expertise in private international law, international civil procedure law, and international insolvency law.
Besides his litigation practice, Daniel Bloch advises private clients on a broad range of subjects including in particular private banking, inheritance, real estate and property law. Daniel Bloch joined MLL Legal as an associate in 1998 and became Counsel as of 2018.
Before joining our firm he worked as an attorney in a mid-size commercial law firm in Zurich and in a trust & fiduciary services company in Zug. Prior to that, he was a law clerk at the Zurich District Court for Landlord and Tenant Matters.
Deals & Cases
- Advised and represented (as co-counsel) an international commodity trading & shipping company in a $500m ad-hoc arbitration against a major national oil producer, concerning the dissolution of their joint venture
- Represented Thales (former Thomson-CSF) in civil attachment and related court proceedings against Andrew Wang et al. in the Taiwan Frigates’ affair
- Defended a private investment company against a $27m claim brought by a Swiss aircraft outfitter concerning the completion and delivery of an Airbus A340-600
- Advised and represented an Israeli-Nigerian businessman in de-blocking and recovering of assets blocked in international AML investigations related to a suspected 419-Fraud (Nigeria Connection)
- Defended the Republic and Canton of Geneva against a CHF 125m responsibility claim brought by the liquidator of SAirGroup AG concerning SAirGroup’s acquisition of Air Littoral
- Advised and represented the children of the late Bruno Stefanini in various legal proceedings to enforce and protect their rights in the “Stiftung für Kunst, Kultur und Geschichte (SKKG)”
- Represented a US-based private investment company in litigating and enforcing a $12m claim resulting from the liquidation of a joint venture involving the purchase and sale of several business jets
- Represented various clients in multi-million-dollar lawsuits against two different Swiss banks following unauthorized options trading by one of the bank’s client advisor, including the clients’ representation as private plaintiffs in related criminal proceedings
- Advising and representing one of the heirs of an UHNW industrialist in various court proceedings concerning the division of a $50m estate
- Defended the chairman and CEO of a Swiss-based commodity trading group against a $30m responsibility claim brought by a major oil producer
Education & Admission
- Admitted to the New York Bar (1998)
- University of San Diego, LL.M.
- Admitted to the bar in Switzerland (1992)
- University of Zurich, lic.iur.
Memberships and public offices
- INSOL Europe
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA)
- Swiss Bar Association (SAV)
- Zurich Bar Association (ZAV)
- Deutscher Bundesgerichtshof, Urteil vom 31. Mai 2011 (VI ZR 754/10, München), mit Anmerkungen von Oliver Arter/Daniel Bloch, AJP 1/2012, S. 123 ff. | 01.01.2012
- Swiss Civil Procedure Code (CPC). English Translation of the new Swiss Civil Procedure Code, with an overview of its main features, Zurich/St. Gallen 2010 | 01.01.2010
- Décharge – Überschätzte Entlastung in der Familien-AG (http://www.handelszeitung.ch/artikel/Unternehmen-Lex-Dossier-Gesellschaftsrecht-D_charge__43946.html), in: HandelsZeitung, 19. März 2003, S. 21) | 19.03.2003