Senior Associate, Geneva/Lausanne
T +41 58 552 05 56
Jacques Johner is a senior associate lawyer in both MLL Legal’s Real Estate and Dispute Resolution teams in Geneva and Lausanne. His practice includes real estate, construction law, land and use planning law, as well as public procurement law and other aspects of public law. He is also a member of the competition and distribution practice group
Jacques Johner holds a Certificate of Advanced Studies in Legal Professions (ECAV) delivered by the University of Geneva. He previously obtained a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in law from the University of Lausanne, with specializations in business law and in litigation, magna cum laude.
Prior to joining MLL Legal, in 2015 as a junior associate, Jacques Johner worked for five years as an in-house lawyer for the City of Lausanne, in the energy and telecommunications department.
He is a native French speaker and his working languages are French, English, Italian and German.
Rankings & Awards
Deals & Cases
- Advised a major Swiss bank and one of its managed vehicles in the acquisition of a new commercial building housing a food production plant (sale & lease-back transaction)
- Advised Generali in the acquisition of a real estate portfolio comprising two residential and two mixed-use buildings located in Geneva
- Advised a major Swiss bank and several of its managed vehicles in the acquisition of a group of residential buildings under construction in the Geneva’s Lake area
- Advised a prominent Swiss real estate fund in the acquisition of a group of newly built residential buildings part of a large construction project comprising condominium apartments and a hotel complex
- Advised one of the major Swiss real estate fund in the acquisition of a large commercial building in Geneva from a company abroad and in the continuation of the lease agreement in force with the sole tenant, during Covid-19 crisis
- Jacques advised several institutional investors in real estate transactions and construction projects in French-speaking Switzerland, with values ranging from CHF 30 to 300 million
- He advised Sunrise Communications Group Ltd. with respect to real estate in the signing of a binding agreement to acquire UPC Switzerland GmbH for an enterprise value of CHF 6.3 billion
- Jacques advised NASDAQ listed Masimo Corporation headquartered in California in its acquisition of a new business facility for its Swiss subsidiary in Neuchâtel
- He successfully represented 3 owners against the City of Geneva in the context of a project to raise the height of 4 buildings
Education & Admission
- Trained in collaborative law (2022)
- Admitted to the Bar in Switzerland (2016)
- University of Geneva, Certificate of Advanced studies in Legal Professions, ECAV (2013)
- University of Lausanne, Master of Law (MLaw) with majore in Business Law and in litigation, magna cum laude (2010)
- University of Lausanne, Bachelor of Law (BLaw) (2008)
Memberships and public offices
- Geneva Bar Association (OdaGe)
- Swiss Bar Association (SAV)
Find all publications by Jacques Johner on our website mll-legal.com.
Real Estate 2022 – SwitzerlandThe Legal 500 Country Comparative Guides 2022, Legalease Ltd, 1 December 2022
Construction & Engineering Law 2022 – SwitzerlandInternational Comparative Legal Guide - Construction & Engineering Law 2022, Ninth Edition, Chapter 19, Switzerland, pages 162-170, Published and reproduced by Global Legal Group Ltd, London
Droit des énergies renouvelables : la refonte du cadre légal est en coursTribune de Genève, FOCUS Énergie et Développement durable 2022, 22 juin 2022
Construction 2022 – SwitzerlandThe Legal 500 Country Comparative Guides 2022, 2022 Legalease Ltd., 4 May 2022
- Cosima Trabichet-Castan
- Jacques Johner
- Denise Läubli
MLL Legal at MIPIM 2023 – The world’s leading property fair in Cannes
Cosima Trabichet-Castan and Jacques Johner will be speakers at the Drees & Sommer Real Estate Impuls on 29 September 2022
Jacques Johner successfully completes course in real estate collective investments
Jacques Johner obtains specialised training in collaborative law
MLL at MIPIM 2022 – The world’s leading property fair in Cannes
Draft Amendment to the Federal Law on Second Homes (Lex Weber)
On 3 November 2022, the Environment, Spatial planning, and Energy Committees of the National Council (ESPEC/NC) presented a preliminary draft amendment to the Federal Act on Second Homes of March 20, 2015 (SHA, RS 702) to relax the conditions for the expansion, conversion or reconstruction of buildings erected under the old law, i.e., before 11 March 2012, in municipalities with a rate of second homes that exceeds 20 percent.1
Only article 11 of the SHA is affected by this draft, without affecting other articles of the law or the ordinance.
The consultation runs until 17 February 2023.
If adopted, this revision of the SHA is good news for owners of buildings erected under the old law, in municipalities with more than 20% second homes, as they will have more freedom to modify their properties.More
Dominance 2018 – Getting the Deal Through
Mario Strebel, Christophe Rapin, Renato Bucher and Jacques Johner are the authors of the Switzerland chapter in Getting the Deal Through – Dominance 2018, published by Law Business Research Ltd, London, with Patrick Bock, Kenneth Reinker and David R Little as contributing editors.More