Marcel Steinegger has over 20 years of litigation and trial experience in a variety of mainly international but also domestic commercial and corporate cases including representing individuals and companies in regulatory enforcement proceedings.
His practice also includes representing clients in criminal matters, mainly white-collar crime cases. He has in-depth experiences in cross-border litigation and international judicial assistance issues in civil and criminal matters, particularly in asset recovery, repatriation of assets and being expert in foreign proceedings.
Many of Marcel Steinegger’s clients have required his assistance regarding compliance, particularly anti-corruption and anti-money laundering issues, and other corporate, commercial, M&A or regulatory concerns. Long-term mandates as a board member including one of a bank provide him with the practical experiences on strategical and entrepreneurial topics.
As a former law clerk at the District Court of Zurich and as a trial lawyer Marcel Steinegger gained a thorough knowledge in any kind of employment law matters, an additional area of expertise and specialisation. He further assists HR managers and HR departments and gives lectures in employment law and HR matters.
Marcel Steinegger has been a partner since 2001.
Rankings & Awards
- “I was fortunate to collaborate with Mr. Marcel Steinegger. I will not refer to his exceptional legal services that have been proved to be top class, I will focus on what makes him different from all the other lawyers I have worked with across the globe. Mr. Marcel Steinegger becomes a valuable partner who gets engaged demonstrating real understanding of company’s needs. He provides his superb legal advices being always flexible and willing to hear and understand the “commercial” requirements of the business. I wish all the legal advisor I collaborate with are like Mr. Marcel Steinegger” – Legal 500 EMEA, Employment, 2023
- “Marcel Steinegger is an excellent attorney and a stand-out partner who really goes above and beyond for his client. He is highly intelligent with excellent judgement. I would trust him with anything. He responds in an extremely timely matter, he is a very knowledgeable, trustworthy person. There is no other attorney that will work as hard for you” – Legal 500 EMEA, Dispute Resolution: Litigation, 2023
- “Marcel Steinegger and his team in Zurich are fantastic to work with. Marcel’s expertise and advice stand out for clarity, efficiency, excellent communication and pace. Marcel has advised us for over 8 years and we worked multiple cases together, where he understands challenges from other jurisdictions and is happy to face them and provide concise and professional advice” – Legal 500 EMEA, Litigation, 2022
- Marcel Steinegger is recommended in The Legal 500 EMEA, Arbitration, 2022
- Marcel Steinegger is ranked by Leaders League in Banking & Finance Litigation and Commercial Litigation, Switzerland 2022
Deals & Cases
- Currently representing one of the biggest US banks, being damaged in a fraud scheme by one of its employees
- Successfully represented one of the biggest Swiss scaffolding company in various criminal and civil litigations due to accidents caused by craftsmen on the scaffolds
- Currently advising a Swiss based technology company that leverages big data in multimillion claims of former employees
- Assisted US monitors appointed by the US department of justice regarding the group audit and the audit of the Swiss subsidiaries
- Currently representing a former asset manager against civil and criminal claims of former customers and his former employer, a Geneva based Swiss bank
Education & Admission
- Admitted to the bar in Switzerland (1992)
- University of San Diego, LL.M.
- University of Zurich, lic.iur.
Memberships and public offices
- Swiss Bar Association (SAV)
- Zurich Bar Association (ZAV)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Switzerland sharpens historic Russia sanctions | 21.03.2022
- Switzerland adopts historic sanctions against Russian individuals and entities | 04.03.2022
- Whistleblowing: Wie müssen Arbeitgeber mit diesem Phänomen umgehen? | 14.12.2021
- Die Lohnträgerschaft – ein Zukunftsmodell für selbständiges Arbeiten, SKO Ratgeber, February 2021 | 01.03.2021
“I was fortunate to collaborate with Mr. Marcel Steinegger. I will not refer to his exceptional legal services that have been proved to be top class, I will focus on what makes him different from all the other lawyers I have worked with across the globe. Mr. Marcel Steinegger becomes a valuable partner who gets engaged demonstrating real understanding of company’s needs. He provides his superb legal advices being always flexible and willing to hear and understand the “commercial” requirements of the business. I wish all the legal advisor I collaborate with are like Mr. Marcel Steinegger”