Cosima Trabichet-Castan has been with MLL Legal since 2012 and became partner in 2020. She specializes in real estate law, advising clients on high value real estate transactions and construction projects as well as on rental law and property development issues. She is actively involved in the Swiss real estate industry, namely through her engagement with various associations, and has been acting as an assistant judge at the Geneva Court for landlord and tenant disputes since 2017. She obtained a Masters’ degree in real estate from the Geneva Institute for Real Estate Studies (IEI) in 2019, allowing her to strengthen her expertise in this practice area. She became a Chartered Valuation Surveyor (MRICS) at the end of 2021.
Cosima Trabichet-Castan has also acquired several years of experience in the field of labour law, advising both employers and employees on any questions relating to their contractual relationship as well as on contentious cases.
As a litigator, Cosima Trabichet-Castan represents clients in civil and administrative litigation proceedings across all French speaking cantons of Switzerland, mainly in the field of real estate law (construction, condominiums, land use planning), rental law and labour law, as well as in the context of debt collection proceedings.
Cosima Trabichet-Castan has studied law both in Switzerland and in Canada. She is fluent in French, English, German and Spanish.
Rankings & Awards
- “Cosima is always well prepared, open to amicable solutions and entrepreneurial” – Chambers and Partners Europe, Real Estate, 2023
- “She is a brilliant lawyer” – Chambers and Partners Europe, Real Estate, 2023
- “Cosima Trabichet-Castan comes highly recommended by sources, who hail her deep expertise in rental law and high-value real estate transactions” – Who’s Who Legal, National Leader Construction & Real Estate, 2022
- Cosima Trabichet-Castan is recommended in The Legal 500 EMEA, Real Estate and Construction, 2022
- “Cosima Trabichet-Castan is commended for her deep knowledge of real estate deals and contracts in the Swiss market” – Who’s Who Legal, 2020
Deals & Cases
- Advised a major Swiss bank and one of its managed vehicles in the acquisition of a new commercial building housing a food production plant (sale & lease-back transaction)
- Advised Generali in the acquisition of a real estate portfolio comprising two residential and two mixed-use buildings located in Geneva
- Representation and advice to 26 Geneva-based medico-welfare institutions in a dispute against a dozen insurance companies regarding the payment of services provided between 2011 and 2019, leading to reimbursements amounting to over CHF 8 million
- Advised several institutional investors in real estate transactions and construction projects in Geneva, Vaud and Valais, with values ranging from 50 to 300 million Swiss Francs
Education & Admission
- Obtained a Master’s degree in real estate from the Geneva Institute for Real Estate Studies (IEI) (2019)
- Admitted to the bar in Switzerland (2014)
- University of Geneva, Certificate of Advanced Studies in Legal Professions, ECAV (2012)
- University of Geneva, MLaw with major in Business Law (2011)
- University of Geneva, Certificate of Transnational Law (2010)
- University of Fribourg, bilingual BLaw (French/German) with major in European Law (2009)
Memberships and public offices
- Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Geneva Bar Association (OdaGe)
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA) and ASA Below 40
- Geneva Real Estate Chamber (CGI)
- Women in property switzerland (wipswiss)
- Association of IEI Graduates (ADIEI)
- Domus Antiqua Helvetica (president of the Geneva section since 2022)
“She is a brilliant lawyer”